Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

New Year's Res: More of These

As I bid 2012 a hearty Goodbye and Good Riddance (oh it wasn't as bad as all that, just glad to be moving on) I look enthusiastically and optimistically to a dynamic 2013. Maybe the work of reupholstery/restorations has me looking back so much of the time, that in my other life I'm all about looking forward. Res No. 1: keep calendar current!

 
Workroom calendar still says "September". No more! That's how busy I got early fall season and am just now finishing the work that was booked at that time. These were a few of the more time consuming projects ...
 

Then there were tons of small projects that delayed the big ones, but have to be accepted and worked in to production, because those are new customers - which we love! But it runs the risk of making the Big Job customer's mad...

 
It's easy to forget or not even know how long a projects going to take - I always say, no job is the same, they're all different. You may do hundreds of upholstered surfaces in a variety of upholstery weight fabrics, then here comes somebody who wants the touchiest silk or linen applied - if it even goes near a wood frame it gets pulled threads and marred, so you have to take extra time to handle carefully...Oh, and they forgot to mention hand tacking of decorative nails is involved ....
 

So Res No. 2: Improve communications with customers as to their projects timeline. It's nice to have an actual deadline. If people say, "oh no hurry" - whoa, I may have it a couple months! Usually they're okay with that - but sometimes not. I'll just try to make it a point to let people know - a lot goes on around here and projects can't always be "first in, first out" though that's how everyone would like it!

Res No. 3: I probs have about 5 more to make but this has gone on long enough for one Sunday...

Through all of my keenest of interests; communications, the interwebs, music, furniture design and manufacturing, fashion and textile design and production, art and social sciences, I'm excited by ever expanding technologies and innovations that bring us closer, wiser, kinder to each other. Helping each other out and keeping the lessons of history in mind, as this blog is supposed to do. I love my new friends on facebook, pinterest and instagram. How enriching to know and follow the workdays and weekends of fellow upholsterers and other like-minded individuals. What I'm getting at (and trying out now for the first time with this Blogsy thing that's s'posed to make blogging quick and easy - cause believe me, it became a huge time abyss) is with my new techie gadgets I should be able to do more blogging, more learning, more networking than I did last year - cause its fun! And that's what everyone's clamoring for..."more blog posts!" and "teach us upholstery class!" I'll work on that too this year, promise. Though I had one (young) customer advise me that maybe "you just want a tumblr... Blogging is so, I don't know ... So 62 year-old-woman!" Haha! Not to worry - I am greeting 2013 with renewed vigor for blogging on the projects and materials that pass thru Miller Upholstering.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment