Thursday, September 29, 2011

19th Century Ladies Rocker

This customer's family piece - a small ladies rocking chair or even one meant for the nursery ...







Shows that it originally had a caned seat,







I wish I knew caning or could schedule time to learn! I have in storage an original Thonet bench that I refuse to upholster over the broken caned back,







But this little rocker was upholstered over ages ago with a resilient curled hair pad with cotton over webbing + burlap,







I'll redo it the same and finally reupholster with Lelievre's Aubusson in color Rubis,







A fitting replacement for the antique cotton and silk brocade that I'll reserve for the customer.







Wasn't the old brocade gorgeous?


- Posted using BlogPress from iPhone


One more thing - look how good old nails were - smaller and slimmer




The ones available for use today are fatter and thicker - not as nice for holding fine fabrics to frames - but most people would be using staples ...







I'll keep the old nails. Waste not want not and I actually did have a request from a senior do-it-yourselfer recently for the finer nails. I shared with her from my stockpile. Yep. That's what I'm here for.

No, I did not like nailing this close to the edge of caned holes but I didn't want to go too far out either, especially with the detailed carving of the chair.





It really is a lovely little piece though. Here's where it lives:




Location:E Lake St,Minneapolis,United States

2 comments:

  1. What a great plan to keep the old nails! I have 2 Victorian chairs in the queue to strip that have never been reupholstered (covered in the original horsehair fabric). If I can get the nails out without bending them, I will definitely re-use. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing - I reuse all the time. I keep little nails in glass spice or mustard jars like some old man...! Useful!

    ReplyDelete

From Start To Finish

Here's a post from a while back that had lost it's image links.  Someone was asking about Cogswell chairs just yesterday, so...